I'm currently editing a friend's novel. My focus lies on the story, because as foreign speaker - the story is written in English - I can hardly argue anything on the grammar and vocabulary front. But then in chapter 2 a single, little word has caught my eye and interest:
"He made the mistake of looking into her eyes. They were large in her elfin face, pale blue with a thick fringe of lashes, full of emotion that he was unable to keep himself distant from."
Elfin - a lovely word in a wonderful sentence in a fantastic story!
Only that this story is located in space. There are different species on various planets, there are space ships and laser weapons ... and I simply wondered: 'Are elfs known in this world?' I had a feeling like Captain Jean Luc Picard (from the U.S.S. Enterprise/Star Trek) would come to Hobbiton and share some smoke with Gandalf and Bilbo! Very weird!
Does What We Write Limit Our Vocabulary?
How far can I go with the words I use to describe things, people and places? Similar thought in contemporary writing: Comparisons with movies, music tracks, singers, living or dead VIPs, etc. Do I run danger to lose my readers because they might have no glue what I'm talking about?
Well, I should keep an eye on that question while editing!
- Obviously, there are some fantastic images in my head. Some beautiful become alive in my travel-journals. Some weird find their way into my dream-diary. Some funny just bust out while composing my emails. Until it's the right time for me to get published, I want to get public, at least! That's what my blog is all about.
Add this to your site
- Wreck This Journal: Scrub This Page.
- Does What We Write Limit Our Vocabulary?
- WQ-28. Characters With Disabilities.
- Wreck This Journal: Cover This Page. Using Only Of...
- WQ-27. Appearances In Your Story.
- Wreck This Journal: Tongue Painting.
- Thoughts About Editing And English Grammar.
- WQ-26. Character Art.
- Wreck This Journal: Fill In This Page When You Are...
- 2012 Reading Challenge
- Goodbye 2011. Welcome 2012.
- ▼ January (11)
- ► 2011 (174)
1-Minute-Writer (39) 30-Writing-Questions (31) 6-Word-Saturday (9) 7-Links-Challenge (2) 7-Sins-Challenge (9) A-Z Apocalypse (28) About The Author (10) April A-Z Challenge (29) Art (3) Art Journaling (3) Award (3) Creative Writing (6) Editing (1) February Journaling Challenge (31) Friday-Fill-In (22) NaNo 2010 (6) NaNo 2011 (2) NaNoJouMo 2011 (2) Quiz (8) Rattles Flash Fiction (1) Reading Challenge (3) Summer Break (1) Wreck This Journal (81) Writing (5) Writing Exercise (16)