Wednesday, April 20, 2011

WQ-14. Map Out Location.

2 Comments


30 Days Of Writing Questions

14. How do you map out locations, if needed? Do you have any to show us?

Like written in my previous post WQ-12. World Building. most of my action takes place in the real world. So, Google Maps is one of my best friends to have a look at unfamiliar places. I sometimes only wished that there's a 'Time Machine Function', e.g. to see a harbor in South-East England around 1900!

Besides the public places there are some fictional private places, like the home of my heroine Cathryn. There I have a very clear picture in my head, how the garden looks like and where the rooms inside the house are located. That's by far enough!

But I've also learnt my lesson: My heroine strands on an unknown island, where the action takes place on different locations. First I thought: 'Well, it's just a simple island, what so difficult about that?' - Thought wrong! Sometimes it's really advantageous to create your own map, especially when you suddenly realize that your heroine stumbles in the wrong direction or visits a part of the island, where five chapters before the environment looked completely different! Then you simply need to map out locations!

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

All About Fiction Writing Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory