Wednesday, March 02, 2011

WQ-07. Writing Soundtrack.

2 Comments


30 Days Of Writing Questions

07. Do you listen to music while you write? What kind? Are there any songs you like to relate/apply to your characters?

I remember my teenage days, laying on the ground not only surrounded by books, pens and paper, but also by deafening loud music. I needed the music, without I simply couldn't concentrate on doing my homework.

Some habits stay. It's hard to imagine myself leaving the house without my MP3-Player, music is with me just like my keys or my wallet. Some habits change ... well, partly. My neighbors do always know, when poor Karin plays the desperate cleaning, scrubbing, washing housewife. As soon as it comes to creative headwork I tune down deafening loud music to a more moderate background level.

But when I write I consider even music as disturbing. I prefer the silence ... it's hard enough to listen to all those voices in my head. Or that one voice. While editing the first few chapters of my 'Voodoo Island' I've registered that effect the clearest; there were two voices telling the story. There were parts, where I can hear myself and there were parts, where I can exactly hear my heroine's voice. So, I'm still working to listen exclusively to my heroine's voice, I don't need any other audible distractions.

Besides that, what works for movies can also work for books. Why not link music to a certain character or situation or mood? For sure, it's one possibility to help an author to get into writing much better than without. Like obviously Stephenie Meyer does. On her website you can find for each of her books a tracklist. I really consider that method really intriguing. Especially, when you know, that some of Stephenie's songs had found their way onto the movie soundtracks.

Well, when my heroine's voice is clear enough for me, then maybe I'll give that a try, too! Until then, silence please!

2 Comments:

  • March 03, 2011 12:12 PM
    Anonymous :

    I used to operate my business from my home: when I was doing my accounts, drafting letters, or general admin., there was music on from 7.30 a.m. until I went to bed or went out. BUT if I needed to come up with a new concept, or structure a script, I couldn't write with music in the background. And it's probably because I'm a musician: music deserves concentration for me. And writing deserves it . . .

  • March 03, 2011 7:23 PM

    You brought it to the point, Rowland! When I listen to music, I relate the music to something, have images in my head ... and those disturb the images of writing! Like you said, everything needs its own attention.

Post a Comment

All About Fiction Writing Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory