Saturday, March 26, 2011

Quiz: Book Meme.

4 Comments
That seems to be one of those chain quizzes. I got it from Carol, who got it from Benjamin. I wonder, who's gonna continue the chain?

1. Hardback, trade paperback or mass market paperback?
What? My dictionary agreed: What? I had to consult Carol ... thanks for answering my questions so patiently! Now I know the differences, I'm not quite sure, if there are German equivalents; maybe I shall ask the next time I'm in my favorite book store?!
I'm losing track, focus! Anyway, the answer to that question isn't so easy, it depends on which is my most urgent need: You know, my hunger for books is usually bigger than my budget, so the calculating side in me argues: You better buy 2 (or 3) cheaper (softcover) books instead of 1 hardcover! On the other side, impatience is my second name, I simply can't wait so damn long until the cheaper versions are available, so I simply HAVE TO buy at release! Just to name Harry Potter or The Twilight Saga. And when books become my favorites then I prefer the quality of hardcovers, it happened that I bought a book a second time, because I don't like shabby softcovers! Here I could name The Pillars Of The Earth or the illustrated versions of Dan Brown books. And then finally, some books are simply only available in one version, e.g. there are no German hardcover versions of The Black Dagger Brotherhood books (not yet, I'm still hoping!).
To make a long story short, you'll find colorful mixture in my book shelves.

2. Barnes & Noble or Borders?
None! It's Germany, remember? Here you can chose between Thalia, Weltbild, Club Bertelsmann or Pustet, at least those are the ones close in my area.

3. Bookmarks or dog-ear?
Dog-ears? Are you kidding? I would never mistreat my little preciousness! Bookmarks are the one and only solution!

4. Amazon or brick-and-mortar?
Depends ... I love a good quality time in my favorite bookstore, I could be there for hours, but when I want a perfect on time delivery for a new book release Amazon is the shop!

5. Alphabetize by author, by title or randomize?
By genre and within a mixture of all three.

6. Keep, throw away or sell?
I'm shocked! Even the thought of throwing a book away hurts! I keep the books I want to reread, the others I sell on eBay, give them to friends or for charity.

7. Keep dust jacket or remove it?
For reading - remove.

8. Short story or novel?
Both!

9. Harry Potter or Lemony Snicket?
I only know the first Lemony Snicket movie, so I might be a little biased: Definitely Harry Potter!

10. Stop reading when tired or at chapter breaks?
To borrow Carol's words: You’re supposed to stop?

11. "It was a dark and stormy night" or "Once upon a time"?
Again Carol took my line: How about "Once upon a time it was a dark and stormy night"?

12. Buy or borrow?
Buy. Period.

13. Buying choice: book reviews, recommendations or browse?
*hmm* A mixture of all three.

14. Tidy ending or cliffhanger?
Most of the time I would say: Keep your cliffhangers! But cliffhangers usually mean, that the story continues. So, with a heavy heart: Cliffhangers!

15. Morning, afternoon or nighttime reading?
I'm an owl, nighttime reading.

16. Stand alone or series?
Both; the crux of the matter the book(s) are good.

17. Favorite series?
Where shall I start? Just to name my actual favorites:
- J.R. Ward: The Black Dagger Brotherhood
- J.K. Rowling: Harry Potter
- Christian Jacq: Ramses
- Erin Hunter: Warrior Cats

18. Favorite children’s book?
An old book with German fairy tales, beautifully illustrated.

19. Favorite YA book?
Doesn't The Twilight Saga count as YA, too? If not, then the Hanni & Nanni series by Enid Blyton.

20. Favorite book of which no one else has heard of?
I don't know, maybe The Silent Miaow by Paul Gallico.

21. Favorite books read last year?
The Black Dagger Brotherhood book series by J.R. Ward.
Yeah, the Brothers rock!!!

22. Favorite books of all time?
Too many to count.

23. What are you reading right now?
Cujo by Stephen King.

24. What are you reading next?
Lover Unleashed by J.R. Ward, as soon as it's released. Have I already mentioned, that I'm obsessed with the Brothers?

25. Favorite book to recommend to an 11-year-old?
To a girl: Hanni & Nanni series. To a boy: No idea!

26. Favorite book to re-read?
There are quite a few. All of my favorite books I've re-read several times! Remember, I'm a book maniac! *g*

27. Do you ever smell books?
Ah, what? I don't know, what you do with your books, I READ them!

28. Do you ever read primary source documents, like letters or diaries?
From time to time. I'd say The Anne Frank Diary is a must!

Well, that's all! Hope you've enjoyed my book ride!
HAPPY READING!!!

4 Comments:

Post a Comment

All About Fiction Writing Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory