Wednesday, May 18, 2011

WQ-17. Favorite Protagonist.

4 Comments


30 Days Of Writing Questions

17. Favorite protagonist and why!

I know these questions are supposed to be about writing, but I'm free to extend my answer a little to make it more interesting:

FAVORITE PROTAGONISTS TO READ
Edmond Dantes
The Count of Monte Christo by Alexandre Dumas
I've just finished rereading the book, so it's the freshest in my mind. Frankly speaking, the first time I had quite some problems, I was confused by all those different names, titles and disguises for/of the same person and different plot lines, which seemed at first view to have no connection to Edmond's story ... but in the end everything made perfect sense. From the second time on I could enjoy the full capacity of the whole adventure. Especially Edmond's development and his experience living through the whole palette of emotions. That's intriguing!

Edward Cullen
The Twilight Saga by Stephenie Meyer
Here I have to make perfectly clear, that I speak of the character IN THE BOOK!!! Not a whiff of the movie actor ... sorry Rob, but you do so NOT fit to the image in my head! I truly love the character described in the book, even more in 'Midnight Sun', where Edward's POV of the story is described. He's just wonderful. This old soul, given with so many talents, struggling with the monster inside him, fighting against the forbidden love ... *sigh* Just wonderful!

Elizabeth Bennet
Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen
Lizzy is just wonderful, she's beautiful, smart and so full of life. Her wit and humor are intriguing. She dares to say 'No', but also is strong enough to confess her faults and change her mind. She's definitely one of my most favorite characters. Well, and I dare say, in that case the movie from 2005 might have influenced my opinion a little, because Keira Knightley playing Elisabeth Bennet is just wonderful to watch!

Lea Goldstaub
Die Goldhaendlerin (The Gold Merchant) by Iny Lorentz
Another strong female character, who does everything to protect and care for her beloved ones. She disguises herself and hides her feelings, fights obstacles, goes on big journey until she gets her well deserved happy end. You can't help, but continue reading, you live, love and suffer with her!

For sure there are many more characters, who are just great to read, but those four came instantly in my mind!

FAVORITE PROTAGONISTS TO WRITE
You might already guess, I have a favor for strong female characters, not only to read, but also to write. Characters like Elizabeth Bennet or Lea Goldstaub can be considered as my role models for my most favorite character. My Cathryn is also a young woman with a strong mind, who tries to find her way in a men's world, but her flaws and imperfections and fears make her loveable and simply 'perfect'!

4 Comments:

  • May 18, 2011 7:14 PM

    How fun - I love Elizabeth Bennet, too. I'm a sucker for Scarlett O'Hara, though, flawed and at some times, despicable as she can be. And Rhett Butler, of course.

    Also love Lessa of Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern series, and Lazarus Long of Robert Heinlein's Time Enough for Love. Writing in Flow

  • May 18, 2011 7:28 PM

    *hmm* It's been ages since the last time I really read 'Gone with the Wind' ... same with 'The Thorn Birds'. I guess, those classics are really better on TV! *g*

    Say, Beverly, don't you want to start your own writing question series?

  • May 19, 2011 12:00 AM

    What, none of the Black Dagger Brotherhood boys listed? For shame! LOL

    I like a strong, female protagonist too. I think they're even more important to a good story than a strong male protagonist.

  • May 19, 2011 8:28 PM

    Yes, I know, it's a true shame ... but what should I do ... you already know, that I fancy Rhage! *sigh* That for I thought, it might be better, when I come with something new! *g*

    You're so righ with your second statement, too. Think of The Brothers: They and their stories are just as strong as their females are! Nobody else, but a strong female could stand beside them! And each of the women has her very own strong side and character!

    I wished the WARDen would make an Insider's Guide for them, too! What do you think?

Post a Comment

All About Fiction Writing Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory